Sunday, November 19, 2017

STEAM Storytime: Shapes

This fall I've been experimenting with STEAM Storytime, and this last week I did a shapes theme.

What I read:

Triangle by Mac Barnett

The kids laughed and had fun predicting what would happen next. I enjoyed sharing this story and seeing the expressions on the children's faces as I read it. It's kind of a trickster story.

My rating 4/5 stars





Friendshape by Amy Krouse Rosenthal

Both the children and the parents enjoyed this book. Everyone seemed to like the cute little puns spread throughout the story. Of course, this book may also be used with a friends theme. 

My rating: 4/5 stars




Between readings, we talked about shapes using cutout felt shapes on the felt board. Then we played a song using scarfs, and I asked what shape the scarf was (a square).

I ended the storytime using a variety of free play shape activities:
  1. I printed, laminated, and cut out tangram shapes for the children to make things with
  2. The littles played with shape sorters we have on hand for playgroup
  3. I also borrowed shape puzzles from playgroup
  4. I set out rubber bands and pegboards that I borrowed from my elementary STEAM Club - I also supervised and scaffolded this particular activity as stretching the rubberbands was new for the children


No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer

I get most of my pictures from creative commons. I do not own the copyright to the book images on this site. I copy book images from Goodreads. Because I review these books (which images I use), I deem these photos fair use under the copyright policy as these books are under criticism. For further questions regarding the use of images e-mail me at acpaige14 at gmail dot com. Thank you.