Sunday, November 26, 2017

Writing: Goodnight Diabetes

I usually don't write rhyming poetry (I'm more of a free verse girl), but I wrote this poem just playing off of Goodnight Moon:

Goodnight pump, goodnight test strip,
goodnight meter, goodnight fingertip.
Goodnight Dex, goodnight juice box,
goodnight lancet, goodnight wool socks.

I wrote this because I have diabetes. I know I haven't mentioned this fact on my blog yet, but I want to go ahead and do so now. I am currently on a pump and management is very high maintenance.

Anyway, while I'm sharing about this topic, I'd also like to redirect you to my "On Mornings" contribution on HitRecord. It's called Hiding the Type 1 and I hope you like it. I posted it on the eve of World Diabetes Day.


Image from my insulin pump unboxing

While we are on the topic of diabetes, I'm wondering if any of you all have read any children's literature with a type 1 diabetic as the main character? If so, would you mind posting it in the comments? I once had a mom of a T1 come to the reference desk at the library and ask me what books I'd recommend. She wanted to help her son see that he wasn't alone.

Cheers,
A.C. Paige

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer

I get most of my pictures from creative commons. I do not own the copyright to the book images on this site. I copy book images from Goodreads. Because I review these books (which images I use), I deem these photos fair use under the copyright policy as these books are under criticism. For further questions regarding the use of images e-mail me at acpaige14 at gmail dot com. Thank you.