Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Book Review: The Cruel Prince | Expected January 2, 2018

***I received an ARC from NetGalley for an honest review. Review may contain spoilers.***


The Cruel Prince by Holly Black
4/5 Stars

A hard man murdered Jude's parents in front of her when she was a young girl. The murderer then abducted her family to a place of magic and faeries. Though Jude hated the man, she couldn't help but want to feel a part of the world she was taken to. However, faeries saw humans as less than. Jude and her non-faerie family members were treated harshly by the fey. One faerie was particularly cruel to Jude and her twin sister. Jude set out on a quest to prove to this cruel Prince Cardon that she can be as good as him and win a place at court.

In her quest, Jude's world turns upside-down. Upon discovering a family secret, she must ally with the one person she hates most. She must use her best human attribute, deception, to carry out her plan.

This story was so good but also frustrating at times. You have to get used to the violence right away as the book was kind of a bloodbath. My main gripe: Jude's attitude toward herself and males. If someone liked her, she was immediately inclined to reciprocate. I hope in future books she can realize what real chemistry and relational respect look like. I hope she grows in that way and doesn't just settle.

See more reviews here


No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer

I get most of my pictures from creative commons. I do not own the copyright to the book images on this site. I copy book images from Goodreads. Because I review these books (which images I use), I deem these photos fair use under the copyright policy as these books are under criticism. For further questions regarding the use of images e-mail me at acpaige14 at gmail dot com. Thank you.